OUR HISTORY
 
The College of the Transfiguration was first established in 1993 when all of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa’s residential theological training facilities – St. Paul’s, St. Bede’s, le Lapha le Jesu, and St Peter’s – were consolidated into one centre in Grahamstown. The amalgamated college was initially called Peter Masiza College but was renamed The College of the Transfiguration with the agreement, support and inspiration of then Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Although the buildings and location were inherited from St Paul’s, the growth of the College has been marked by the spirit, motives and perceptions that sustained all of its forefathers. Current students study in lecture rooms named St Bede’s and St Peter’s to honour our history. Old photographs adorn the walls and the stained glass window in our Chapel comes from St Peter’s. Our initial journey was a daring venture to find unity amidst diversity and, in this journey, life at the College has mirrored the life and development of our democracy. Through joy and sorrow, healing and reconciliation, struggle and commitment, unity is continually forged. In this way life at the College prepares students for the ever-changing and challenging context within which they will be active in both church and society. In 2011 the College adopted a new constitution to align the College of the Transfiguration more closely with the vision and mission of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa to address areas of human need in current South African society.

INTERESTING FACTS

• St Bede’s College in Mthatha was founded in 1879 by Henry Callaway, the first Bishop of the Diocese of St John. The purpose of the institution was the “training of young natives, and colonists as clergy and teachers.” (Change and Challenge (1998), by Suggit and Goedhals)

• St Paul’s College was founded in 1902, by Bishop Charles Cornish in Grahamstown. The initial idea of a college came from Bishop Allan Webb, Bishop of Grahamstown. He brought a vision of theological education with him, having been vice-principal of Cuddesdon Theological College, Oxford. Links with Cuddesdon are still maintained with exchange programmes active in both directions.

• St Peter’s College was founded in Rosettenville, Diocese of Johannesburg, in 1905 when the Community of the Resurrection (The Mirfield Fathers) were invited by the Bishop of Johannesburg to start a theological seminary alongside the work they were already doing in education in Johannesburg. The college moved in 1963 to become an affiliate college of the Federal Theological Seminary in Alice. FedSem was expropriated in 1978 and finally established in Mbali, Pietermaritzburg. The Seminary was closed in 1992.
 
 
VISION AND MISSION
THE RECTOR
COLLEGE COUNCIL
STAFF
STUDENTS COMMITTEE
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
HISTORY
 
 
 
 
 
     
Copyright 2015 College of Transfiguration, Registration No. 2006/000074/08